Recreational vehicle (RV) coverage can seem like a tricky area in insurance. Does my homeowner’s insurance cover my RV or camper? What exactly does RV insurance cover? Read our guide below to learn what you need to know about RV coverage and how to be sure you have the right coverage.

What is RV insurance?

RV policies cover recreational vehicles of all sizes, including class A motorhomes, campers, trailers, and fifth wheels. If you drive your RV, you will need to be sure it is covered under its own RV policy. But if you tow your camper, then it will most likely be covered under your auto policy.

How much does RV insurance cost?

How much you’ll pay for your RV coverage will vary by state and how you use it. For example, if you live in your RV full-time, you’ll need full-timer’s coverage as opposed to recreational coverage for those who only use their motorhomes on vacation. On average, premiums run about $1,200 annually, depending on vehicle and state.

Is my camper covered under homeowners insurance?

As long as your RV or camper is parked on your property, it is covered under your homeowners insurance policy. This means if there is damage to the RV or an injury associated with it while it’s parked, your homeowners will cover the expense. But once you take your camper out on the open road, it has to have its own RV coverage.

What does RV insurance cover?

RV policies includes the following coverage:

  • Property damage liability
  • Collision
  • Motorists who are underinsured or not insured at all
  • Comprehensive
  • Total loss replacement
  • Full-time coverage if you live in your RV
  • Vacation coverage, including campsites

Does RV insurance cover awning damage?

Most RV policies will cover awning damage, but you will want to check your policy for details. Many RV owners choose to opt out of awning coverage in order to lower their premium costs. Be sure to check with your insurance advisor to be sure you are making the right decision to protect your camper.

Do I need RV insurance?

The general rule of thumb for RVs and campers is if you drive it, you need RV coverage. If you tow it, your auto policy will cover it. Each state has a minimum that they require for liability on motorhomes, so be sure your coverage meets those requirements.


If you are an RV owner, you need to be aware of exactly what your state requires for your type and class of vehicle. You need to be sure your motorhome insurance has the right coverage if you live and travel in it full-time and check that it covers damage to your awning if you have one.

The insurance advisors at JAISIN are experienced in coverage for travel trailers, motorhomes, and RVs. They will work with you to review your current policy and shop the market for a new one if necessary.

The next time you’re driving your motorhome on the open highway, know that you are covered no matter what happens. Click or call JAISIN Insurance Solutions today to speak with one of our professional RV insurance advisors. And ask for an RV insurance quote!

Skip to content