Read the following Q&A to discover the ins and outs of flood insurance. Do you need flood insurance or does your homeowners insurance cover water damage? Does it cover contents as well as structure? Is it expensive? Where can you find the most comprehensive, cost-effective coverage?

What is flood insurance?

Flood insurance is separate insurance coverage (over and above your homeowners insurance) that specifically protects your home and its contents from water damage caused by external flooding, including heavy rains, storm surges or blocked storm drains.

How much is flood insurance?

Costs vary by state. The biggest factor that affects how much flood insurance costs is whether your home is located in a high- or low-risk flood zone. Other factors include age, elevation and value of structure and contents. The average cost of flood insurance in 2021 is $707 per year.

What does flood insurance cover?

Flood insurance covers your home’s structure/foundation; plumbing, electric and HVAC systems; built-ins (cabinets and bookcases). Personal items, including clothing, furniture, electronics, window treatments and appliances are also protected. Some things not covered: plants, landscaping, vehicles or damage caused by moisture, mildew, mold or neglect.

Does homeowners insurance cover flooding?

No. Most homeowner’s insurance covers water damage that results from

  • faulty plumbing,
  • overflowing dishwashers or
  • clogged A/C systems,

for example.

It does not cover damage caused by flooding events such as heavy rainfall, hurricanes and rising tide waters. Helpful hint: Inside event, covered. Outside event, not covered.

Does flood insurance cover hurricanes?

Yes. While homeowners insurance typically covers hurricane damage caused by wind, flood insurance covers damage from water that comes into your home from somewhere else. Low-lying coastal regions and hurricane-prone states are especially vulnerable to the destructive tidal surges and heavy, unrelenting rainfall these storms bring.

Do I need flood insurance?

To find out if you need flood insurance, check your city’s flood map/flood zone designations or ask your insurance advisor. If your home is located in a designated high-risk flood zone, you should get flood insurance. If you have a mortgage, you probably will be required to carry flood insurance.


Putting off purchasing flood insurance or simply deciding you can do without it, is risky. All it takes is one really strong storm to turn your home and your possessions into a soggy mess. Even if you’re in a low-risk flood zone or your home is mortgage-free, it’s smart to investigate adding flood coverage to your insurance portfolio.

Many homeowners think they’re locked in to purchasing flood insurance from the government’s NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program). Not anymore. In the past few years, more private insurers have begun offering flood insurance. So, the best course of action is to work with an insurance advisor who knows how to navigate the insurance marketplace and is familiar with federal and private flood plans.

The flood insurance advisors at JAISIN determine the coverage you need based on your location and the value of your home and contents; then they shop the market for competing quotes and negotiate on your behalf. When possible, they combine policies (homeowners + flood) to lower your premiums.

Flood insurance is a small investment to make for the peace of mind and protection the correct coverage provides. Click or call JAISIN Insurance Solutions today to talk with one of our experienced flood insurance advisors. And, ask for a quote while you’re at it.

Skip to content